Welcome to this week’s hop. The incredible Jenna Da Sie posed the challenge and what fun!
Would You Rather Cooking Edition: 1) Cut out butter forever or sugar? 2) Have a normal size oven that heats inconsistently or have a toaster oven that bakes everything perfectly? 3) Make something beautiful that tastes terrible or make something ugly that tastes great? 4) Forget to preheat oven or forget to bring ingredients to room temperature. 5) Have to measure ingredients by eye or have to guess how long things have been in the oven? 6) Win a national baking award or create a recipe that gets handed down for generations? 7) Mix everything by hand or wash all dishes by hand.
- Oh man…what a choice. But I think I would rather do without butter. After all, there’s always olive oil and mayonnaise.
- Have to go with the toaster oven. I’ve used an oven that wasn’t calibrated correctly and it drove me nuts. Everything was either burned or raw. I could adapt to a smaller space if it worked predictably.
- Ugly that tastes great. In fact, some of my favorite dishes don’t look that appetizing until you dig in. I think it’s like everything. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder—or in this case, the diner. If it tastes delicious, it becomes so much more beautiful.
- Sometimes I purposely don’t preheat the oven so I can warm the dish more gradually. And how many times have I forgotten to bring the ingredients to room temperature? Too many to count. But then I just tell myself my room is in an igloo.
- In this case, I think I do both. Exact measurements are over-rated. (Okay, maybe not, but this is my kitchen). And I can generally tell how ready a dish is by smell. Like cakes, they smell done when they’re there or close.
- Awards are great, but I am definitely into the legacy thing. I would love to think that generations from now, someone is still cooking the same food I made. That thought comforts me.
- I don’t know what I would do without my mixer. Lumpy potatoes, inconsistent cakes. Nope, keeping the mixer! And I don’t mind doing dishes by hand. There have been many times in my life when I didn’t have a dishwasher and I never minded doing the dishes by hand.
This challenge has made me hungry, so I’m off to cook something. Since this was the wonderful Jenna’s idea, let’s jump over and see her choices…