Hello and welcome to our hop. So glad you decided to join us! It means a lot!
This week the challenge comes from Clair Brett:
What are your 10 best tips as a romance writer to keep your business organized?
First, it is very important to recognize that writing is a business, and not just a hobby. Years ago, I owned my own business (a catering service for NBC in California) and I learned so much – most of it the hard way. So here are my tips:
- Get a file and keep track of your receipts. Organization here will save hours at the end of the year when you’re doing your taxes.
- Treat writing like you would any other kind of job. Determine your work hours and stick to them.
- Set a schedule and prioritize tasks. Writing should be at the top of the list every day.
- When you’re writing, shut off your phone and don’t allow other distractions to keep you from your work. (Arterial bleeding, zombie apocalypse, fevers over 103 degrees, fire or other natural disasters excepted).
- When you have a thought or idea, write it down. Your memory is never going to be as good as you think.
- Get balance in your life. Eating, sleeping, exercise and some relaxation are just as important and will fuel your creativity.
- If you’re struggling, give yourself a break. Take a walk, listen to music, whatever helps clear your mind. Getting away from the work and then coming back to it gives a fresh perspective.
- Stop sabotaging yourself. You have a story to tell and every right to tell it. And keep at it until the story is what you want it to be.
- Never quit. Never give up. Do not ever compare yourself to anyone else. Your journey is your journey, theirs is theirs. Any creative pursuit is hard, but if you keep at it, you have a chance at great success. Quitting is the only way to fail.
- If you’re feeling frustrated, remember to be grateful for all the good things in your life. Be happy you have a story (or stories) to tell. And tell it or them.
Those are my top ten and I hope they help others stay more focused. Now, let’s pop over to the wonderful A.S. Fenichel and get her top ten. And sign up for her newsletter! You don’t want to miss what’s coming up for her and her books!! http://asfenichel.com
A.S. Fenichel http://asfenichel.com/blog